The Appeal of Collectibles
A collectible is an object suitable for a collection, such as a work of fine art, an antique, or a rare item, but also includes a wide variety of items collected as a hobby, for display, or as an investment whose value may appreciate. Pawn shops are treasure troves for gold, silver, coins, jewelry, and collectibles. While many collectible items may fall into their own broad categories such as jewelry, coins, or guns, within those are certain items that have the unique appeal of being collectible. Some items may stand alone in their rarity and not necessarily belong to any specific genre of products in our inventory.
A vintage Coca-Cola cooler from the 1950s is a great example of unique collectible that is sought by antiquarians who dabble in old Americana or promotional Coca-Cola merchandise.
If you’re searching the Minneapolis area for awesome items, you might be in luck. Some of the collectibles we come across are rare and may have high monetary or novelty value:
- Vintage jewelry, such as a Coco Chanel antique engagement ring, a Buccellati necklace, etc.
- Antique watches from Patek, Rolex, Breitling, Philippe, Piaget, Cartier, etc.
- Collectible coins, including an 1859 Princess Three Dollar gold coin, Morgan Silver Dollars, a 1797 Great Britain 2-Pence, etc.
- Historic firearms—examples of which include a 1944 Mosin Nagant rifle, a Civil War LeMat revolver, etc.
- Art Deco furnishings, including Tiffany lamps, period statues, etc.
- Rare baseball cards from Topps, rookie cards, famous players, etc.
- Old tin toys like Marx tin litho vehicles, robots, wind-up animals, etc.
- Limited editions like a HALO Playstation bundle, autographed art prints, etc.
- Old comic books featuring Superman, Captain America, G.I. Joe, etc.
- Antiquarian books by Agatha Christie, C.S. Lewis, etc.
- Branded promotional merchandise advertising Disney, Star Wars, Coca-Cola, etc.
- And many more…
Vintage toys, antique firearms, old books, unique historical memorabilia, and rare coins all make the cut but are just a sliver of what can be considered collectible by those who collect. Scarcity, age, and condition are definitely determining factors in the desirability and value of such commodities, but social popularity and perceived prestige can also influence the appeal. When browsing Metro Pawn & Gun, be sure to ask us about some of the unique wonders that make their way into our store. You might walk away with some pretty awesome treasures.
Know Your Collectibles
If you are looking for a cash loan, you might consider either selling or pawning some of your collectibles. Collectible items, whether antique or contemporary, are best served with an understanding of their pedigree and an aptitude in their stewardship. Here are a few of the most common things to keep in mind when dealing with collectibles: